Editor’s Note: We’re sharing this post, originally published in November of 2020, to help you take your next pizza night up a notch. Go ahead, try one of these homemade pizza recipes… you won’t regret it!
Delivery pizza is ready at the tap of a button these days. But what’s the fun in that? The ultimate evening to me is a cozy pizza night in. Your family gathered around as you push your flour-streaked hair out of your eyes, the aroma of garlic and oregano wafting from the oven… Okay, maybe it’s not quite that romantic, but here’s the thing: it’s always satisfying to pull a pie out of the oven that you made with your own two hands.
My husband Alex and I honeymooned in Italy and what left a mark on our souls was the pizza: that classic Neapolitan-style pie with its charred crust, bright garlicky tomatoes, and stretchy mess of cheese. We knew we had to learn to recreate that magic in our own home. So after spending a decade testing loads of recipes (you’re welcome!), we’ve found all the secrets so you can enjoy the best pizza recipes… in the comfort of your own home.
5 Tips for Making Homemade Pizza Recipes
Now, there are a few things to know about homemade pizza recipes before we start. There are various levels of pizza nerdery you can embark on. As a Master Pizza Nerd myself, I’ll share what I think are the best methods and some easy swaps.
- Homemade pizza dough is 100% worth it. It takes 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest, but it’s well worth the time. The flavor and texture of our Master Pizza Dough is out of this world. Even better, you can make it in advance: refrigerating the dough for 2 to 3 days develops an even better flavor.
- Store-bought dough is a-OK! Don’t feel like you can commit to homemade dough? That’s ok too. It won’t have quit the same magic, but it’s much easier for a weeknight.
- Invest in a pizza stone. How is artisan pizza so crispy on the bottom? Cooking it at very high heat, higher than your oven can achieve. The solution: a pizza stone mimics the inside of a pizza oven! Don’t have one? A good ol’ baking sheet will do.
- Use a pizza peel. Want to up your pizza nerdery? Get a pizza peel! It lets you easily slide the pizza onto the blazing hot pizza stone. Not ready for one? Use a rimless baking sheet dusted with cornmeal for easy sliding.
- A simple trick can mimic a pizza oven! Pizza with beautifully charred edges is only possible in a pizza oven. But we recently discovered a pizza pro trick. Use a blow torch to lightly char the edges of the crust! It works like a charm.
Here are our five best homemade pizza recipes to try for your next cozy night in! You can go full pizza nerd, or opt for homemade dough and a baking sheet. Either way: they’ll be fast favorites with everyone around the table… promise.
1. Margherita Pizza
Here’s how to make the perfect margherita pizza recipe, like the kind you’ll find at a pizzeria in Naples. This is the most classic Italian pizza flavor, showcasing the colors of the Italian flag: red for the tomatoes, white for the mozzarella, and green for the basil.
The highlight? This 5-Minute Pizza Sauce, made in a blender with fire-roasted canned tomatoes, garlic, and oregano.
2. Supreme Pan Pizza
Let’s move from classic Italian to cozy American-style pizza! This pan pizza has pillowy crust and tastes like the pie from your favorite pizzeria… but better. You can make this type of homemade pizza recipe in a cast iron skillet. While it takes a little longer than the standard pizza dough, it’s much easier: you don’t need a pizza stone or have to worry about shaping the dough.
The smell wafting from the oven is enough to make you visibly drool. Top it with your favorite toppings, or try this meaty veggie supreme.
3. Taco Pizza
Here’s a fusion-style pizza that meshes this Italian pie with that Mexican specialty: Taco Pizza! This recipe is inspired by a delivery pie my husband Alex had growing up. Instead of pizza sauce, the dough is topped with refried beans and cheese, then littered with veggies and crushed tortilla chips.
The best part? A drizzle of creamy homemade ranch dressing across the top. You’ve got to try this.
4. Healthy Pizza with Parmesan and Arugula
Looking for something fresh and light? Try our Healthy Pizza with caramelized bell peppers and arugula. This pizza is classic Italian-style, featuring our Thin Crust Pizza Dough for an extra crispy crust. Another key to keeping it light?
A modest sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. There’s not mozzarella on this pie, but it tastes larger than life. Top with baby arugula for a fresh crunch in each bite.
5. Spinach Artichoke Pizza
Last up in our best homemade pizza recipes, here’s one inspired by that classic cozy dip: Spinach Artichoke Pizza! One of our favorite appetizers is this creamy spinach artichoke dip: so why not spread it on a pizza? This one’s a white pizza recipe, with no traditional tomato-based pizza sauce. Tangy artichokes meld with stretchy mozzarella and fragrant garlic on this stunning pie.
Which would you try? Let us know your picks (and any questions!) in the comments below.
Editor’s Note: This article contains affiliate links. Wit & Delight uses affiliate links as a source for revenue to fund operations of the business and to be less dependent on branded content. Wit & Delight stands behind all product recommendations. Still have questions about these links or our process? Feel free to email us.
Sonja is author of award winning food blog A Couple Cooks and the cookbook Pretty Simple Cooking. Together with her husband, Alex, the two are leading voices on plant-based eating, and authors of a recipe series with Washington Post Food called Voraciously: Plant Powered. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.